are ingredients that are synthetically produced using ethylene oxide – a known carcinogen. These new chemical compounds are known as ethoxylated compounds. A by-product of this process is another chemical known to be harmful: 1,4 dioxane. Also, the chemicals listed below are all produced using this process of ethoxylation and, as a result, are contaminated with 1,4 dioxane. To avoid ethoxylated compounds look for these ingredients listed on labels:
– Butoxyethanol: Synonyms: Butyl cellosolve; Ethylene glycol mono-n-butyl ether; Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether; EGBE; Dowanol EB; Butyl oxitol; Jeffersol EB; Ektasolve EB
– Ethanolamines (DEA/TEA/MEA/ETA)
– Polysorbates: Synonyms are All PEG (Polyethylene & Polypropylene glycol) compounds, like PEG-20, 40, 60, and its synonyms, Polysorbate-20, Polysorbate-40,etc.
– Emulsifying Wax NF
– Sorbitan Monostearate and other sorbitan based ingredients are also synonyms with PEGs (polysorbates).
– Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), Ammonium Laureth Sulfate and most ingredients ending in “-eth”.
– Any ingredient known to actually contain 1,4-dioxane